In Girl World, Halloween is the one night a year when girls can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it.
Gawker made fun of Brit Morin’s “Pretty Zombie” makeup tutorial today. I don’t know who she is either, but we all know Halloween is a time to look hot, not scary. If you’re too lazy to buy a two-foot $39.99 piece of Spandex from Spirit Halloween, Brit has you covered. Look ugly-pretty with items from your own makeup drawer!
Here are the steps:
- Apply primer to your face, as you would if you were applying normal make-up, because that’s all you’re doing, is applying normal make-up.
- Apply a foundation that is one shade lighter than your natural skin. WHOA WHO’S THAT DEAD GIRL? It’s you.
- Instead of applying brown bronzer, as you normally would, apply gray bronzer (eyeshadow). Do NOT skip this step, as it constitutes almost the entirety of your costume.
- Add “a touch of brightening powder” over the gray “to soften the look.” Dial that grey back. Dial it way, way back.
- Brush your eyelids with a couple neutral shades of shadow. Start with something “vanilla-like” on the inner eyelid, moving to “beige” on the outer. Don’t be afraid to get really crazy here, experimenting with the rainbow spectrum of beige—it’s Halloween—but don’t get really crazy.
- Use an espresso shade to give yourself a great smoky eye. Above all, keep it subtle. You want to look dead, not like you’re from Jersey.
- Use eyeliner and mascara to help give your lashes “a fuller look.”
- Line your bottom lash with red lip liner. The tutorial suggests using a lip liner that one commenter later pointed out is not eye safe and could lead to eye irritation or even vision loss. Follow your heart on this one. (You can’t follow your eyes because you are blind now.)
- Put red lipstick on.
It should be noted that I used my own makeup kit as a costume one year, but these were my results:
Nobody’s going to accidentally have sex with that zombie.
Nope, they will know exactly what they’re getting into.